Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So, now it unfolds...

Well, I'm officially obsessed with Sally Mann. I'm doing a informative speech on her tomorrow, and I've come up with this amazing idea to in a sense thank her for the inspiration her artwork has given me. Just like how Andy Warhol did pictures for all of Capotes short stories... I'm going to write her a poem for each of her 'Deep South' pictures and send it to her as a gift of some sorts. I feel guilty almost, last night at church I couldn't stop thinking about the poems I was going to write that I even started listing the things I wanted to say. Heh, oh well.

I have come to the realization that I'm pretty class judgmental. Not, in a racist sense, but more in an educational sense. I full heartedly agree with Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. ESPECIALLY Aristotle when they say that not pursuing knowledge and wisdom is a sin of sorts. When people use 'can' instead of 'may', or 'good' instead of 'well' my skin crawls. I shouldn't care so much, but I think people should be better or at least want to be. I'm wasting my energy though... and I know it. It isn't that I'm some Albert Einstein or Sir Richard Branson, but I feel I'm ahead of the game because I at least KNOW what is wrong with me. haha. I'm working on not being 'educationally' judgmental but is definitely not some skip through the flowers.

I can see why a lot of liberals are liberal. I think I know what is right, and if everyone were to do it MY way the world would be a hell of a better place to live. So let me make laws telling you what to eat because I've researched and I KNOW what is healthy, and I KNOW what we all should be learning. Don't worry I haven't gone all democrat on you... I just see the appeal. But than you have to be logical and unless people make these things their values society will remain stagnant. You can't TELL someone to not go eat McDonalds every day they have to learn for themselves. This is where Ayn Rand's Ethical Egoism comes in handy, because not only does it advocate for people to better themselves and do what is best for them, but to also uses REASON when making decisions.
I've heard the arguments about how if we were to do what we think is best that wouldn't be helpful at all because some people don't see anything wrong with stealing, murdering, et cetera. Which does show a flaw in the system. Because we definitely do not live in an utopian egalitarian society. So, like most theories and philosophies they work best in the setting the philosopher/teacher tells them in. It's hard to pick the best thing for the real world. Because a dictatorship would work if the leader was well perfect, and democracy would be perfect...if well hah the people were. It helps me put into perspective when the government in the United States isn't as I would like it to be. I don't agree with Obamas health care plan, but I see what he's saying and the good he's trying to install. Because of COURSE money isn't everything and people are more. Sometimes what is ideal isn't what will work. Unity is a hard thing to conduct. With the diversity in this country is makes it seemingly harder.

As I'm typing this it makes me wonder... how many blogs are being maintained on this website 'Blogger' alone? How all these people have opinions and things to say that they feel are important. What makes my blog any different, or dare I say better than theirs?
I guess people who care about you care about what you think, and if you have credibility (aka College degree, experience, et cetera) more people will care.
I'm just a little 19 year old girl sitting in her living room sharing this earth with the billions of people out there. Each individual with his vast yet narrow world.
It is compelling and even intimidating to think there might be someone whose better at poetry than me, or more articulate with an expansive vocabulary. And, here I sit thinking my thoughts are so important. But are they? There is truly nothing extremely new under the sun, and all will blow away with the wind... but that shouldn't prohibit me from still doing what I do, and enjoying the life that I lead. Deep down I just know that there is more for me than just being a statistic in the masses. I'm led even compelled to say I know I will be well known even if it's only in Texas. I'm even honest enough to say... I have to be.

Oh the internet that enables the mask for which we hide behind.
As 'convenient' the internet and all electronic devices are... I secretly despise them. They cheapen our work as Creators. I was really inspired by my best friend Mary Ellen when she said that we're made in God's image which enables us to....create.
I have never thought about that before until she said that. Which pretty much explains everything. When people argue that we're not a higher species I always point out how we're the only species that creates things beyond our basic instinctual needs. That is the most beautiful thing I've ever known, possibly.
I have a whole new perspective on, well, anything anyone creates. Because it is magnificent that they even have the ability to merely create it.

Poetry to come soon. Hopefully the Sally Mann Poems :)

1 comment:

  1. Gives me a lot to think about. Here's something for you to think about with the "educational prejudice" - Sometimes a person can not better themselves educationally or otherwise, because all they can do is survive. Check out Maslow's Hierachy of Needs. Self-actualization, which includes both crativity and education, can only be realized after phycological challenges have been meet,they have a sense of safety, love, and belonging and a healthy self-esteem. So, when you want to judge someone because of their lack of care towards education or creativity - maybe you should try to figure out what level they are stuck at. Maybe you should reach down from you spot on the self-actualization level and try to meet their needs wherever they may be. You just may be able to pull them up - and in do so you better yourself as well.
    Tia Joyce
    (I love your blog and am trying to find out how to sign in under my own name - I am so technically illiterate - lol)

    ReplyDelete